Assume engineering responsibility for specific design and/or development phases of Company’s products; including design, verification, implementation, validation, and production support. This is to be accomplished by working under the guidance and direction of more senior engineers.
- Conduct product design and development following general design guidelines and tools including CAD programs.
- Conduct calculations and analysis using closed-form methods, computer applications and fully functional FEA and other simulation tools. Develop some calculation tools for specific problems
- Support Sales Department by providing technical input to negotiations of standard products.
- Support other departments and customers by addressing technical questions under general design guidelines.
- Review drawings, schematics, bills of material, and other documentation necessary manufacture, test, install, and commission products.
- Build proficiency and body of knowledge covering more than one product family and one engineering field and related applications.
- Create and enhance specific design guidelines by leveraging own experience and technical learning.
- Prepare engineering reports covering topics or issues involving various products or technical fields. Some reports may be distributed outside the company.
- Assist in the development of new products by providing input on specifications, designing prototypes, devising validation tests, and preparing supporting documentation.
- Provide input to project feasibility and cost analysis.
- Provide input pertaining to time and resources required to execute multiple tasks in the preparation of project schedules.
- Execute tasks according to orders or project schedules, striving for 100% on-time completion. Monitor execution of specific tasks assigned to more junior team member. Provide timely reports on project status.
- Participate in product improvement, productivity improvement, standardization, cost reduction, and cycle time reduction initiatives. Lead some of these initiatives.
- Provide disposition to non-conformances and participate in corrective actions providing technical input based on established design guidelines.
- Review work of designers and engineers with less experience.
- Review product compliance to company standards and customer requirements.
- Provide input to technical papers and invention disclosures.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering with three to five years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five year experience designing rotating machines, preferably electric motors and generators.
- Experience with medium and high voltage equipment (2.4 – 13.8 kV).
- Working knowledge of NEMA, IEEE, API and IEC standards applicable to electric motors and generators.
- Working knowledge of rotordynamic analysis software, preferably Dyrobes.
- Familiarity with FEA software, preferably ANSYS.
- Familiarity with simulation software, preferably Matlab.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Working knowledge of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Bias for action.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.