Engineer (Embedded Software)
Active – FULL TIME REGULAR
Round Rock, TX US
TECO-Westinghouse is seeking an embedded software engineer for power converter and motor control with multiple level openings. In this role, you will write, debug and test the control firmware and user interface software. You will collaborate with other software, hardware and control engineers for motor drive and inverter/converter design. This position is ideal for candidates with a background of multidisciplinary fields, a passion for problem solving, and specific expertise in real time control software development. The embedded software engineer will have a significant influence on the development of the product line and the advancement of future power converter technology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Help to define requirements for motor control software, and firmware to interface with hardware components including voltage and current sensors, speed encoders, etc.
- Design digital control algorithms and software architecture for a wide range of power converters.
- Write code and design document.
- Test and validate the control algorithms in the laboratory.
- Develop and test HMI and GUI application software.
- Support software maintenance and improvement for existing product line.
- Support software development for test fixtures, and custom applications.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures, and maintaining a drug free workplace
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position
- Other functions as required
SCOPE, PURPOSE, AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
The position requires frequent contact with other TWMC personnel and customers including Engineering, R&D lab, Factory Operations and Service.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree in one of CS, CE, EE plus two years in industry, or Master degree.
- At least 2+ years of real time embedded software development experience
- Proficiency with embedded software development in C/C++ on MCU and DSP platform.
- Working knowledge of standard communication protocols (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART)
- Experience with networking, concurrency, and distributed systems
- Proficiency reading hardware specifications and schematics
- Proficiency debugging embedded software systems: familiarity with JTAG, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Experience in motor control and power converter software development or test
- Experience with hardware in the loop or NI hardware environment
- Knowledge of AC electric motor theory, and drive system modeling and control
- Experience with PWM schemes such as sinusoidal modulation and space vector methods
- Experience with control simulation and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink or other tools
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Good communication skills
- Strong teamwork attitude
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Hands-on troubleshooting for hardware and software
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations
The ability to read, analyzes, and interprets manufacturing drawings, repair specifications, test results, and technical journals. Respond to inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Communicate effectively in the presence of top management, customers, trade associations, and other public groups.
Apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, Algebra, permutations, Calculus, and differential equations. Apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Identify a solution to a problem involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
General supervision will be provided. Must be a self-starter with the ability to work effectively and take ownership of assigned projects in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
TECO-Westinghouse’s Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY:
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.