The R&D Head reports to the President of TECO–Westinghouse, develops and executes TWMC’s technology strategy, directs product development activities, directs and coordinates all activities related to negotiation designs and engineering documentation for shop orders and after-market services, implements and sustains continuous improvement initiatives, and builds and manages TWMC’s IP portfolio.
- Provide leadership to establish short and long term objectives, plans, and policies driving product and technology development and project execution in support of company’s growth and profitability.
- In conjunction with Business Development, build product and technology roadmaps, and develop and execute plans to achieve the roadmap objectives.
- Engage in TECO’s product development and engineering efforts providing technical leadership and leading global engineering initiatives as required.
- Prepare and manage engineering and R&D operating and capital budgets consistent with P&L and company financial goals.
- Expand the company’s technical knowledge and engineering capabilities by developing staff and recruiting technical talent in support of technology and product development objectives.
- Establish and manage KPIs and conduct regular performance reviews.
- Sustain a continuous improvement program to reduce department errors, increase productivity, and refine design tools.
- Ensure timely execution of engineering orders, and product development projects within budget.
- Manage technical computing resources by reviewing department needs, staying abreast of new developments, and preparing annual budgets.
- Stay abreast of technological developments relevant to company’s business and take necessary steps to assess technology readiness and applicability to company’s products and services.
- Manage company’s IP portfolio determining IP protection strategy, and working with patent attorneys on patent filings.
- Engage universities and government agencies in the development of business cases and technology development proposals, and securing funding and resources for R&D projects.
- Represent the company in business and technical venues, before customers, stakeholders and the public.
- Ensure company’s engineering know-how and technical data is securely maintained and retrieved.
- Maintain engineering compliance to ISO 9001 and ISO 14000 standards and with company affirmative action plan and company safety procedures.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience managing multidisciplinary engineering teams developing and designing medium voltage variable frequency drives and/or medium and high voltage custom industrial electric machines in the multi megawatt range.
- At least fifteen years of experience designing and/or building medium voltage power converters or multi megawatt electric rotating machines.
- Experience in manufacturing and/or field support of custom electrical equipment is an asset.
- Managerial experience must include budget preparation and management, P&L management, project planning and management, KPI formulation and tracking, and personnel development.
- Experience managing continuous improvement initiatives is an asset.
- Proven track record driving business growth through product development and NPI, and developing and executing product roadmaps.
- Experience interacting with universities and government agencies in building business cases for R&D work and funding.
- Experience managing IP portfolio and patent process.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for medium voltage power converters and electric machines is a plus.
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. Master’s or PhD. degree preferred.
- Ability to confidently represent the company in technical or business venues.
- Strong people skills.
- Sense of urgency.
- Ability to understand, summarize and communicate complex topics in accessible and clear terms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company’s (TWMC) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.