Software R&D Engineer – Sr.
Assumes engineering responsibility as a technical leader individually or as part of a team for research and new product design, development, manufacturing, and concept validation across a potentially broad array of electromagnetic or power electronic devices. Scope includes one or more of the following: electrical, mechanical, software, magnetics, thermal, packaging, simulation, test, CADD modeling, documentation, test, project management, and/or manufacturing.
- Develops and supports TWMC’s Research & Development short and long term plans for design of motors, drives, generators, alternative forms of power transmission equipment, power electronics, and other wire to load systems considerations.
- Architect, program, and maintain intuitive graphical Human Machine Interfaces (HMI) for Medium Voltage Drives in Cross-platform text based programming languages.
- Design and program intuitive user interfaces for both customers and internal applications.
- Develop desktop software to support manufacturing test stands, process improvements, data logging, diagnostic tools, drive commissioning, test automation, and sales configuration tools.
- Improve and maintain existing system software.
- Develop User Interface (UI) software that will communicate with hardware over Ethernet and serial.
- Participate in the software development team to improve processes and ensure software is maintainable, scalable, and efficient.
- Direct participation and ownership of software testing in all stages of software release cycle.
- Support software release cycles including regression testing, user testing, and documentation.Work directly with other engineers including mechanical, electrical, and embedded hardware designers.
- Work with customers, manufacturing, and field service engineers. On-site field support may be requited as needed.
- Operate and test medium voltage inverters.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and/or Industrial Engineering) and 5-8 years in field of specialization; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Proficient in text based cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Android) programming languages (C++, Java Python, etc.). Java experience is a plus. Must have ability to learn new languages as needed.
- Must have appreciation for user interface design styles such as flat/metro, material design, native, navigation options, control appearance, color schemes, etc.
- Working knowledge of industrial communication protocols such as ModbusTCP. Ability to learn new protocols as needed.
- Experience with LabView and National Instruments hardware including NI-cRIO platforms a plus.
- Understanding of basic software principles including design patterns, object oriented programming, state machines, pointers, structures, etc.
- Experience with software team development tools and processes including release cycles, testing (regression, unit, and user acceptance testing), bug tracking, weekly code reviews, documentation, and source code control.
- Strong team player. Contribute by means of architecture ideas, feedback, lessons learned, and experience. Must be approachable, problem solver, eager to contribute, flexible, and willing to receive feedback. Must have patience to teach others as needed.
- Great communication and presentations skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will work in offices, labs, factories, and customer sites. The employee may need to temporarily work for brief periods of time at locations outside of the United States. Employees may be frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, electrical shock hazards, manufacturing equipment, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.