The Systems Engineer reports to the Director, Design Center and is responsible for identifying solutions for electrical power applications involving variable frequency drives, electric motors, and switchgear, as well as developing control systems for such applications. The Senior Systems Engineer will work closely with customers, Sales and Marketing, and various engineering teams in developing and implementing these solutions.
- Reviews and analyzes customer requirements and specifications for electrical power applications.
- Assists sales and marketing in reviewing and developing proposals for power systems.
- Identifies, specifies and selects components such as electronic drives, motors, switchgear, transformers and other components typically used in power applications.
- Performs power system studies including protection coordination, arc flash and short circuit analysis.
- Develops control and automation algorithms and/or strategies for power systems.
- Creates one-line diagrams, schematics, load lists, cable schedules, and elevation & plan view drawings as required for project documentation.
- Engages vendors when necessary to develop technical solutions and identify cost and delivery.
- Ensures power systems designs meet applicable codes and standards.
- Supports system design, installation, startup, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Assists with customer training.
- Provides technical leadership in projects related to power systems.
- Provides mentoring and training to less experienced engineers.
- Other duties may be assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s of Science degree (B. S.) in Electrical Engineering from four-year college or university (required), Master’s degree (preferred).
- Three to five years of experience of power engineering related work.
- The ideal candidate will have experience specifying and/or designing powers systems including electric motors, variable frequency drives, switchgear, transformers and other components typically used in power systems operating with voltages up to 13.8 kV.
- In addition the candidate will have experience with PLC programming, protective relay programming, standards and codes governing power systems, and ETAP/SKM or other power analysis software.
- P.E. designation is desired.
- Familiarity with motor control strategies such as V/Hz, Vector and Sensorless Vector control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be comfortable interfacing with customers, vendors, sales and engineering personnel.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with situations where only limited standardization and/or information exists.
- Bias for action.
- Must be available to travel up to 20% of the time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.