Active – FULL TIME REGULAR
Round Rock, TX, US
The Senior Buyer will help provide strategic focus in supply chain initiatives to support the company’s strategic imperatives as measured by year- over- year continuous improvement in cost reduction, supplier development, performance, quality, strategic sourcing and processes.
The primary resource for Commodity Roadmaps, Strategic Supplier sourcing and selection, Supplier DFM (Design for manufacturability) and FPY (first pass yield) of components for TECO-Westinghouse products, to meet or exceed all customer expectations for delivery, quality, cost and customer service.
- Possesses knowledge of all aspects for assigned commodities and works toward a consistent scheme within the process.
- Significantly contributes to year- over-year sales growth and operational improvement through supplier continuous improvement and development.
- Responsible for meeting purchasing and supply needs in an assigned area of commodities and/or services, including planning, purchasing, and delivery to production line.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute commodity strategies and roadmaps.
- Recommend and implement systems and procedures which reduce inventory and lead-time, increase purchasing efficiency and reduce cost.
- Conduct supplier evaluations for source selection to include risk, quality, delivery and price. Lead the supplier’s surveys, assessment, financial analysis and capacity ramp capabilities to reduce risk.
- Provide leadership and technical expertise to implement and improve the supply chain process.
- Evaluate regional low cost and high cost markets for specific commodities.
- Lead the negotiations team for Long Term Agreements (LTA) or Supplier Managed Inventory agreements.
- Provide leadership, technical expertise and implementation management to systems and procedures.
- Locate and recommend suppliers of materials, components and services with the responsibility for creating and maintaining a competitive market and reducing cost.
- Communicate purchasing policies and requisition procedures to all requisitions in the designated area of responsibility.
- Establish and maintain rapport and business association with suppliers. Obtains vendor technical and operating expertise as required to support company design and manufacturing personnel.
- Prepare ordering requirements for purposes of bid solicitation.
- Evaluate quoted prices by price and/or cost analysis and prepare a formal and comparative bid abstract.
- Negotiate the purchase of materials, components and services with the most favorable bidder for the best conditions of price, transportation cost, quality, and delivery consistent with requisition requirements.
- Be able to award purchase order for products in accordance with established policies and procedure including legal requirement, while seeking maximum value for dollar expenditures.
- Administer purchase orders after award and negotiate changes that may develop prior to completion. Resolve promptly any problems which might occur so as to ensure timely delivery of the item with the quality specified. Resolve shortages, rejected parts, and any situation wherein supplier invoices or discount action is at variance with order conditions.
- Maintain appropriate purchase order and correspondence files. Audit these files prior to closeout to assure all required documentation is complete.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards’ Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Incorporate the Standards of Excellence as outlined by TECO-Westinghouse; (Pride, Desire, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, follow-through into daily activities in order to create a Total Quality environment through personal commitment to excellence.
- All other functions (non-essential functions) as required.
SCOPE, PURPOSE, & FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
Frequent interaction with all departmental is required to exchange information and coordinate activities.
Frequent interdepartmental interaction to assist personnel in projects that will result in purchases or cost reductions and/or to take part in interdepartmental program implementations and to provide liaison relative to items on order or items to be ordered.
Frequent external interaction required to visit, telephone and correspond with suppliers during the entire procurement cycle.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university (MBA would be a plus); and five to eight years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in purchasing complex electro/mechanical assemblies and technically precise commodities.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certification by the Institute for supply management as certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) preferred.
APICS Certification – CPIM Certified Production and Inventory Manager preferred.
Certification by the Project Management Institute (PMI) as a Project Management Professional (PMP)
National Association of Purchasing Managers preferred.
Lean six sigma greenbelt certification- preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent negotiations skills.
- Ability to provide coaching and demonstrate leadership.
- Experience with manufacturing processes, MRP II, material and production control systems.
- Proficiency reading engineering drawings and specifications.
- Ability to define problems. collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company’s (TWMC) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TWMC may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.