Design Engineer – Power Electronics
Assume engineering responsibility for specific design and/or development phases of Company’s products; including design, verification, implementation, validation, and production support. This is to be accomplished by working under the guidance and direction of more senior engineers.
- Conduct product design and development following general design guidelines and tools including CAD programs.
- Conduct calculations and analysis using closed-form methods, computer applications and fully functional FEA and other simulation tools. Develop some calculation tools for specific problems
- Support Sales Department by providing technical input to negotiations of standard products. Oversees manufacturing and sales tools such computer animations of product assembly. Works with the marketing team and the Systems engineer to develop design requirements based on customer needs. Manages customer drawings, subcontractor drawings, and other project specific data.
- Support other departments and customers by addressing technical questions under general design guidelines. Identifies and implements processes and methods to increase effectiveness and efficiency of collaborative efforts.
- Review drawings, schematics, bills of material, and other documentation necessary manufacture, test, install, and commission products. Manage product data structure and configuration management.
- Build proficiency and body of knowledge covering more than one product family and one engineering field and related applications.
- Create and enhance specific design guidelines by leveraging own experience and technical learning.
- Prepare engineering reports covering topics or issues involving various products or technical fields. Some reports may be distributed outside the company.
- Assist in the development of new products by providing input on specifications, designing prototypes, devising validation tests, and preparing supporting documentation. Work closely with vendors and the business functions to enable rapid prototyping and development of new designs. Order, or support ordering of parts for prototype builds. Engage in hands on assembly and testing of prototypes.
- Conduct mechanical and packaging tests. Direct the construction of test setups & fixtures. Create test plans, procedures and reports. Monitor and collect data from reliability tests.
- Provide input to project feasibility and cost analysis.
- Provide input pertaining to time and resources required to execute multiple tasks in the preparation of project schedules.
- Execute tasks according to orders or project schedules, striving for 100% on-time completion. Monitor execution of specific tasks assigned to more junior team member. Provide timely reports on project status.
- Participate in product improvement, productivity improvement, standardization, cost reduction, and cycle time reduction initiatives. Lead some of these initiatives.
- Provide disposition to non-conformances and participate in corrective actions providing technical input based on established design guidelines.
- Review work of designers and engineers with less experience.
- Review product compliance to company standards and customer requirements.
- Provide input to technical papers and invention disclosures.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering with three to five years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five year experience designing electronics packaging, preferably medium voltage power electronics (>2.4 kV).
- Working knowledge of IEEE, UL and IEC standards applicable to power electronics equipment.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks is essential.
- Experience with FEA software, preferably ANSYS and/or Icepack.
- Familiarity with Excel data analysis.
- Familiarity with LabView.
CRITICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Power Electronics packaging or similar knowledge and experience is required. Special emphasis will be placed on efficient design, low cost, and thermal management. Experience with medium and high voltage electrical equipment a definite plus. Experience in wiring and cable design is desired. Knowledge of printed circuit board assemblies and processes a plus.
- Experience evaluating thermal air flow, analysis of mechanical strength and vibration, and determining adequate electrical spacing and/or insulation requirements. Use of ANSYS, and ANSYS ICEPAK a plus.
- Knowledge of fabrication processes for metal and plastics and electrical grade fiberglass structural shapes. Experience in sheet metal fabrication. Experience in the design of electrical panel assemblies is a plus. Ability to analyze assemblies to simplify construction, promote modularity and reduce parts. Experience in Design for Manufacturing (DFM) principles and application is a plus.
- Experience in the design of welded assemblies such as electrical cabinets, enclosures, panels and frames. Knowledge of environmental standards and testing. Knowledge of NEMA standards and UL product qualification a plus.
- Directly contributes and leads the design team members to complete CAD models, and bills of materials. Responsibility for completion of product design and documentation as well as design changes and prototype construction. Experience in CAD assembly management and techniques. Expert level knowledge of SolidWorks a plus.
- Strong background in drawing standards, tolerances and the use of GD&T. Background with SmarTeam, 3DEXPERIENCE, or SAP is a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Professional level proficiency in English language skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Working knowledge of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Bias for action.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.