Design Engineer – Sr.
The Design Engineer Sr. reports to the Synchronous and DC Engineering Manager and is responsible for the design and mechanical analysis of large electric rotating machines, preparing negotiations, responding to technical enquiries, providing support to production and field services, conducting design reviews. This is to be accomplished with only general directions from more senior engineers or Engineering Manager.
- Conduct product design and development following general design guidelines and tools including CAD programs, and developing design methods utilizing established standards.
- Conduct calculations and analysis using closed-form methods, computer applications and fully functional FEA and other simulation tools. Develop calculation tools and computer applications for broad use.
- Support Sales Department by providing technical input to negotiations of non-standard products based on reference designs.
- Support other departments and customers by addressing technical questions sometimes not covered under general design guidelines.
- Review drawings, schematics, bills of material, and other documentation necessary manufacture, test, install, and commission products.
- Build proficiency and body of knowledge covering more than one product family and more than one engineering field and applications.
- Create and enhance several design guidelines by leveraging own experience and technical learning.
- Prepare engineering reports covering topics or issues involving various products or technical fields, with contribution from various individuals. Some reports may be distributed outside the company.
- Assist in the development of new products by creating specifications, designing prototypes, devising and reviewing test data, and preparing supporting documentation.
- Conduct project feasibility and cost analysis.
- Provide input pertaining to time and resources required to execute tasks in the preparation of project schedules, and prepare schedules for portions of projects.
- Execute tasks according to orders or project schedules, striving for 100% on-time completion. Monitor execution of several tasks assigned to more junior team members. Provide timely reports on project status.
- Lead product improvement, standardization, productivity improvement, cost reduction, and cycle time reduction initiatives.
- Provide direction to disposition to non-conformances and lead engineering response to corrective actions based on general design guidelines.
- Review work of designers and engineers with less experience, and provide mentorship.
- Review product compliance to company standards, customer requirements, industry standards and regulations.
- Lead the preparation of technical papers and provide input to invention disclosures.
- Represents the Company before customers and at technical conferences in support of Marketing and Sales.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Mechanical Engineering with five to eight years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Professional certification or license is an asset.
- Five to eight year experience designing rotating machines, preferably electric motors and generators.
- Experience with medium and high voltage equipment (2.4 – 13.8 kV).
- Working knowledge of NEMA, IEEE, API and IEC standards applicable to electric motors and generators.
- Working knowledge of rotordynamic analysis software, preferably, Dyrobes.
- One to three year experience using FEA software, preferably ANSYS.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports, technical papers and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Working knowledge of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Bias for action.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.