Engineering Manager II
The Synchronous, DC and Service Engineering Manager is responsible for leading the team designing synchronous and DC machines, providing timely documentation and support to manufacturing and testing, and input to negotiations of new contracts. Drives product cost reduction, standardization, process improvement, and engineering productivity. In addition, the Synchronous, DC and Service Engineering Manager leads the service engineering team that is responsible for evaluating repair needs and developing repair plans for electric machines, supporting production, testing and field service.
- Manage order and project execution ensuring timely completion while meeting or exceeding product quality and performance expectations.
- Coordinate the preparation of technical proposals, outline drawings, customer documentation, and electrical and mechanical design including manufacturing drawings and bill-of-materials for synchronous and DC machines.
- Coordinate the preparation of drawings, repair instructions, customer reports and other relevant documentation required for service orders.
- Drive process improvement initiatives.
- Facilitate and conduct design reviews.
- Interface with internal and external customers to clarify specifications and expectations, prepare and present technical reports and provide technical advice.
- Develop and execute or make recommendations to management on projects for product improvement. Make recommendations as to develop new products/services to meet market trends and assist in the creation of future design strategies.
- Establish performance, cost reduction and productivity goals for the department and create KPIs to support those goals.
- Monitor and manage department performance to ensure achievement of KPIs. Regularly provide reports covering department performance and KPI achievement status.
- Monitor and administer team performance, morale and engagement. Continuously identify training needs and develop training plans to enhance personnel capabilities, skills and performance. This also includes hiring, terminating, preparing and conducting of performance evaluations, as well as, providing performance related feedback including disciplinary actions as required.
- Engage and provide technical support to Company’s projects aiming at cost reduction and productivity improvement.
- Plan and perform engineering duties on new or varied problems where only general objectives are stated and where no previous design or development data exists.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (required), master’s degree (preferred). Minimum of 10 years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and training.
- A minimum of five years previous experience managing complex projects and engineering staff is required.
- Experience with medium and high voltage rotating machines is desirable.
- Three to five years using applicable industry standards.
- Proven track record of successfully launching new products.
- Experience using CAD, PLM and ERP systems.
- Must be a US person due to work on government contracts.
CRITICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work with multiple functional groups driving process efficiency throughout product life cycle.
- Excellent communications skills. Ability to speak effectively in conferences, before groups of customers, top management, or employees of the organization.
- Ability to summarize and communicate complex technical topics.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, financial reports, legal documents, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports for various audiences including top management, public groups and agencies.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Proficiency of statistical tools is desired.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Bias for action.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Resumes along with salary requirements should be sent to:
Benefits & Opportunities
We offer a competitive compensation package, attractive benefits, 401(k), profit sharing, tuition reimbursement and many opportunities to continue your professional growth.
Qualified candidates should send résumés along with salary requirements and the title of the position that is being applied for to:
Attn: Human Resources
5100 North IH-35
Round Rock, TX 78681
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.