Principal Power Electronics Engineer
Assume engineering responsibility for meeting the objectives and coordination of several specific design and/or development phases of Company’s products; including methodology, design, verification, implementation, validation, and production support. This is to be accomplished with only general directions from a Chief Engineer or Engineering Manager.
SPECIFIC POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
- Designing medium voltage variable frequency drives. Generating block diagrams, wiring diagrams, schematics, component specifications, and BOM’s to support the design and documentation process.
- Identifies, specifies, and selects components such as diodes, IGBT’s, gate drivers, laminated buses, film/electrolytic capacitors, inductors, reactors, transformers, semiconductor fuses, transient absorbers, power supplies, contactors, and other components typically used in power electronics applications.
- Designs power electronics packaging using knowledge of high voltage insulation design. Familiarity with dielectric strength of materials, creepage and clearance distances, gap breakdown, corona, and partial discharge. Familiarity with NEMA enclosures and NEC design standards and the use of GPO3 material in the construction of high voltage electrical assemblies. Familiarity with the design of high current bus bars and connections.
- Selection, testing, and implementation of new components and electronic assemblies, including connectors and wiring harnesses.
- Works with mechanical engineers to integrate electrical designs into the production drawing package.
- Troubleshoots electrical problems in lab, factory floor, and/or field. Extended travel to customer site installations is occasionally required.
- Performs lab tests and generates lab reports. Develops and supports test fixtures and documentation for prototype and production testing.
- Performs medium voltage drive power sizing studies in the range of 2.3 kV through 13.8 kV for applications up to 10,000 hp. Recognizes and protects against electrical hazards.
- Designs electronic control of machines. Understands machine principles such as inrush, overload, magnetizing current, torque, rpm, harmonics, poles, power, horsepower, and other operational parameters.
- Assists on a team in developing control algorithms and/or strategies for power systems. Designs inverter control including electronic protection alarm and trips; current, voltage, and other feedback loops; customer interface; parameter types and limits; and communication links.
- Assists in designs for control for variable torque, constant torque, and regenerative applications. Assists in design of V/Hz and Vector types of control.
- Works with 3-phase power distribution systems. Specifies switchgear, transformers, conductors, and other components typically used for variable frequency drive systems operating with voltages up to 13.8 kV.
- Ensures variable frequency designs meet applicable codes and standards. Knowledge of UL testing and certification process. Familiarity with high pot testing of systems, sub-systems and components. Generation of UL test procedures, reports and other support documentation.
- Incorporates the Standards of Excellence as outlined by TWMC (Pride, Desire, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, & Follow-through) into daily activities in order to create a Total Quality environment through personal commitment to excellence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership in projects related to power electronics.
- Direct the development of new products and systems by coordinating the creation of specifications, prototype design, creation and execution of validation tests, reviewing and preparing supporting documentation.
- Conduct and direct system design and development, establishing new design guidelines and tools and occasionally developing design methods outside established standards.
- Create and enhance design guidelines by leveraging own experience and technical learning, and engaging subject matter experts.
- Review product compliance to company standards, customer requirements, industry standards and regulations. Develop strategy to achieve product compliance and certification.
- Ensure engineered systems meet applicable codes and standards.
- Prepare engineering reports covering topics or issues involving various products or technical fields, with contribution from various individuals including external consultants or subject matter experts. Some reports may be distributed outside the company.
- Build proficiency and body of knowledge covering broad range of products and more than one engineering field and applications.
- Lead and coordinate cross functional teams working on project improvement, standardization, productivity improvement, cost reduction, and project cycle time reduction initiatives.
- Conduct project feasibility and cost analysis and prepare project justification.
- Prepare plans and schedules for complete projects by gathering input from individuals within own department or team.
- Engage vendors as necessary to develop custom solutions and identify cost and delivery.
- Execute and manage execution of tasks according to orders or project schedules. Provide timely reports on project status.
- Reviews and analyzes customer requirements and specifications for power electronics applications.
- Support Sales Department by reviewing and developing proposals for projects involving power systems and power electronics equipment, often with limited or non-existent reference designs.
- Support other departments and customers by addressing technical questions outside general design guidelines.
- Support system design, installation, startup, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Assists with customer training.
- Review work of designers and engineers with less experience, and provide mentorship. Develop training programs for less senior engineers.
- Lead the preparation of technical papers and provide input to invention disclosures.
- Represents the Company before customers and at technical conferences in support of Marketing and Sales.
- May be a seated member of an industrial technical committee or advisory group representing the technical views of the Company.
- Act in the capacity of subject matter expert within the Company
- Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards and compliance with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
ADDITIONAL RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
- CAD programs such as Visio, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or electrical packages.
- LabView, TI Code Composer, Java software development.
- Matlab, Simulink, PSIM, ETAP, SKM simulation software.
- PLC programming.
- ORCAD schematic capture and PCB layout.
- Standards and codes governing power systems.
- Electrical protection coordination fundamentals, arc flash and short circuit analysis.
- Digital protective relays and protection schemes.
- Analysis of electrical system reliability. RELEX system reliability models.
- Circuit design for analog and digital circuitry which use processors, FPGAs, A/D converters, D/A converters, fiber optics, signal shifters, op amps, current sources, power supplies, SCR control circuits, protection circuits, and other circuits typically used in power electronics applications.
- Design of magnetic components such as reactors and transformers.
- Knowledge of utility grids, industrial power systems, and facility layouts.
- Identify, specify and select components such as electronic drives, motors, switchgear, digital relays, transformers and other components typically used in industrial power applications.
- Single-line diagrams, load lists and other documentation as necessary to manufacture, test, install, and commission large engineered systems.
SCOPE, PURPOSE, AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
The position requires daily contact with all levels of TWMC and customers including Engineering, Marketing, Factory Operations, Supply Chain, Service and Accounting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year College or university in Engineering or Physical Science with eight to twelve years related work experience, or Master’s or PhD. degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three to five year experience using applicable industry standards.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, financial reports, legal documents, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports, white papers, and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in conferences, before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Proficiency of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Ability to manage small to medium sized projects. Experience in providing leadership and directing workflow is a plus.
- Bias for action.
The ability to read, analyzes, and interprets manufacturing drawings, repair specifications, test results, and technical journals. Respond to inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Communicate effectively in the presence of top management, customers, trade associations, and other public groups.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, Algebra, permutations, Calculus, and differential equations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Indentify a solution to a problem involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
General supervision will be provided. Must be a self-starter with the ability to work effectively and take ownership of assigned projects in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.