The Power Electronic System Engineer is a high-impact and dynamic role, which will engage in the electrical and systems engineering disciplines to design motor drive and renewal power conversion as well as provide guiding to other engineers. In this role, you will be part of the power electronics design team where you will demonstrate leadership supporting silicon carbide inverter and converter designs for motor control, electric vehicle charger and energy storage applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply innovative design techniques to medium voltage motor drive and high-power converters.
- Work in a fast-paced team environment on a variety of R&D and production programs.
- Provide technical leadership to personnel / multi-functional teams supporting the assigned project.
- Recommend approaches to meet the technical and program requirements.
- Participate and/or present in program reviews.
- Perform power electronics topology study and circuit design for advanced converter and inverter.
- Design analog and digital control circuit and provide guideline for board layout.
- Conduct worst case analysis of circuit implementations and system functional performance.
- Perform circuit and system level modeling and analysis using spice, MATLAB, Simulink, or other comparable tools.
- Investigate control algorithms utilizing computer simulation or HIL tools for motor control, power conversion and grid connection.
- Work with firmware team to translate algorithms into software implementation.
- Test, validate, and troubleshoot controller implementation.
- Document the requirements, designs and test reports.
- Develop control/protection logic and program PLC for system level integration and commission.
- Working knowledge in the following areas: medium voltage system, motor drive and control, solar array, and battery storage system, EV charger.
- Knowledge of device characteristics relevant to power electronics, such as: MOSFET, GaN, SiC, IGBT, diodes, capacitor, laminated bus, FPGAs, DSP, etc.
- Experienced in sampling theory and ADC/DAC implementation for feedback and closed-loop control a plus.
- Strong analytical skills with solid device, circuit, and controls theory fundamentals.
- Strong hands-on testing and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with MATLAB, Simulink, or other system simulation tools.
- Experience with embedded firmware development for real-time controls systems.
- Familiarity with safety and compliance standards for grid-connected power electronics.
- Familiarity with grid operation is a strong plus.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
SCOPE, PURPOSE, AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
The position requires daily contact with all levels of TWMC and customers including Engineering, Marketing, Factory Operations, Supply Chain, Service and Accounting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Electrical Engineering with eight to twelve years of related work experience, or appropriate combination of degree & experience developing, implementing, and testing power electronics and motor controls (BS + 5 years, MS + 3 years, or PhD + 0 years).
- Three to five years of experience using relevant EAD, CAD, and simulation software.
- Three to five years of experience using applicable industry standards.
- Three to five years of experience managing projects or leading a team.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
As required, based on job responsibilities, education, and customer specific needs.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, standards, financial reports, legal documents, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports, white papers, and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in conferences, before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Proficiency of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge, and apply to practical situations.
- Bias for action.
The ability to read, analyzes, and interprets manufacturing drawings, repair specifications, test results, and technical journals. Respond to inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Communicate effectively in the presence of top management, customers, trade associations, and other public groups.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, Algebra, permutations, Calculus, and differential equations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and ability to identify a solution to a problem involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
General supervision will be provided. Must be a self-starter with the ability to work effectively and take ownership of assigned projects in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.