Systems Solution Manager (Green)
Active – FULL TIME REGULAR
Round Rock, TX US
The Systems Engineer reports to the Director of Engineering and R&D, and is responsible for identifying solutions for electrical power applications involving variable frequency drives, electric motors, switchgear, utility power interface, renewable energy sources and battery energy storage system (BESS), as well as developing control systems for such applications. The Systems Engineer will work closely with customers, Sales and Marketing, and various engineering teams in developing and implementing these solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews and analyzes customer requirements and specifications for electrical power system and motor drive applications.
- Assists sales and marketing in reviewing and developing proposals for electrical power and motor drive systems.
- Identifies, specifies and selects components such as motor drives, electric motors, switchgear, transformers, power converters/inverters and other components typically used in power applications.
- Performs power system studies including protection coordination, arc flash and short circuit analysis.
- Develops control and automation algorithms and/or strategies for power systems.
- Creates one-line diagrams, schematics, load lists, cable schedules, and elevation & plan view drawings as required for project documentation.
- Engages vendors when necessary to develop technical solutions and identify cost and delivery.
- Ensures power systems designs meet applicable codes and standards.
- Supports system design, installation, commission, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair.
- Assists in customer training.
- Provides technical leadership in projects related to power systems.
- Provides mentoring and training to less experienced engineers.
- Oversee the schedules and work of staff.
- Conducts performance evaluations, hires, and if required disciplines employees.
- Other functions as required.
SCOPE, PURPOSE, AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
The position requires daily contact with all levels of TECO-Westinghouse and customers including Engineering, Marketing, Factory Operations, Supply Chain, Service and Accounting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s of Science degree (B. S.) in Electrical Engineering from four-year college or university (required), Master’s degree (preferred).
- Three to five years of experience of power or electrical engineering related work.
- The ideal candidate will have experience specifying and/or designing powers systems including electric motors, variable frequency drives, switchgear, transformers, converters and other components typically used in power systems operating with voltages up to 13.8 kV.
- In addition, the candidate will have experience with PLC programming, protective relay programming, standards and codes governing power systems, and ETAP/SKM or other power analysis software.
- P.E. designation is desired.
- Familiarity with motor control strategies such as V/Hz, Vector and Sensorless control.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must be comfortable interfacing with customers, vendors, sales and engineering personnel.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with situations where only limited standardization and/or information exists.
- Must be available to travel up to 20% of the time.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as technical drawings, schematics, safety rules, standards, financial reports, legal documents, operating and maintenance instructions, white papers and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports, white papers and correspondence for various audiences including top management, public groups and agencies.
- Ability to speak effectively in conferences before groups of customers, top management, or employees of the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Proficiency of statistical tools.
- Drive to learn new skills, acquire knowledge and apply to practical situations.
- Previous managerial experience desired.
- Bias for action
Read, analyze, and interpret manufacturing drawings, repair specifications, test results, and technical journals; respond to inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community; and communicate effectively in the presence of top management, customers, trade associations, and other public groups.
Apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, Algebra, permutations, Calculus, and differential equations. Apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Identify a solution to a problem involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
General supervision will be provided. Must be a self-starter with the ability to work effectively and take ownership of assigned projects in a fast paced environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
TECO-Westinghouse’s Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.