Test Technician II
Active – FULL TIME REGULAR
Round Rock, TX, US
The employee has experience with test setups, static testing and dynamic testing of AC Induction motor product. The employee can operate common test equipment and can successfully complete routine tests using both commercial test supplies as well as dielectric testing without supervision.
The Testing Technician II performs final acceptance testing and certain in-process testing of Motors, VFD components, assemblies and/or systems in a production environment. Assist engineers with troubleshooting test failures, and with determining root cause and corrective actions. Basic understanding of electric motors, VFD’s, transformers, electrical testing equipment and electrical safety procedures is required. Experience with voltages above 1,000V and/or with large industrial, electric motors is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tests a variety of systems including, but not limited to: medium voltage drives, rotational apparatus (generators and/or motors) and systems comprised of some combination of drives and rotational apparatus. Testing will be conducted utilizing a multitude of electronic, electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic metering/measuring systems. Must be familiar with the use of advanced hand tools such as torque wrenches and dial indicators.
- Prepare for, and conduct, a wide range of electrical, thermal and mechanical tests under direction from engineering personnel, senior technicians and the Test Manager.
- Participates in installing units or systems to be tested in test fixtures, connecting valves, pumps, hydraulic, mechanical or electrical controls, cabling, tubing, power source and indicating instruments. Installs low and medium voltage equipment (120V – 15,500V) as needed in preparation for final acceptance and/or systems testing.
- Responsible for test setup (e.g. – cabling, clamping, fixturing, instrumentation, piping, etc.) and teardown of test pieces. Performs tasks related to setup (e.g. – soft foot, leak checks, setting flow rates, programming instrumentation, etc.).
- Wires assemblies and subassemblies per schematics and point to point wiring diagrams.
- Interfaces various electrical components with measurement equipment and data acquisition equipment.
- Activates controls to apply electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic or mechanical power and subject test item to successive steps in test cycle.
- Electrically and mechanically test components or assemblies, record data and create reports as necessary.
- Applies pass/fail criteria to tests performed and notifies the proper personnel as to the results.
- Collaborates with engineering personnel to resolve problems relating to specifications and to review test plans such as types and cycles of tests, conditions under which tests are to be conducted, and duration of tests.
- On a limited basis, maintains production test equipment including troubleshooting, minor repairs and preventative maintenance. Performs troubleshooting and understand test failures. Recognizes and corrects basic issues such as data collection errors, mechanical unbalance, hot bearings and seal rubs.
- Reacts quickly to apply knowledge and skills previously learned to new and unique situations presenting a challenge to the team. This includes making physical modifications to test setups and tooling as required using a variety of hand and power tools.
- Constantly strives to improve safety and integrity of production and test areas.
- Frequent customer contact is required. Must communicate test progress and results with customers frequently throughout each test.
- Works in a safe and efficient method while maintaining a clean work area.
SCOPE, PURPOSE AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS
Test personnel have daily contact with customers through witness tests.
In addition, there is daily contact with other employees at all levels of TWMC including, but not limited to, the Design Center, Factory Operations, Planning, Sales & Marketing and Service. Individuals must work well with their team members as well as other groups within and outside of the company.
CRITICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- To be qualified for this position, an individual must possess these critical skills and/or abilities and must be able to demonstrate the use of them.
- Above average reading and math skills.
- Possess a general aptitude for electrical and mechanical operations.
- Customer service oriented attitude.
- Highly self-motivated and independent
- Must be able to function well in a team environment, and be able to interact and communicate effectively with production, engineering and quality assurance personnel.
- Detail oriented with above average mechanical aptitude.
- Familiar with and some experience using oscilloscopes, meters, sensors, thermocouples, infra-red detectors, strain gauges, air flow meters, power analyzers, vibration analyzers and similar equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with other team members.
- Provides feedback for improvement of processes.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in Electrical Technology or similar field; two or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, 2-4 years.
Experience preferred, but not required:
Experience testing large industrial electric motors
Electrician’s license preferred – either Master or Journeyman
ISO 18436-2 Category I or higher vibration analyst certification preferred
TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company’s (TWMC) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TWMC may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE:
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.