Warehouse Supervisor – Chicago, IL
Supervises and coordinates activities of workers concerned with ordering, receiving, storing, inventorying, issuing, and shipping materials, supplies, tools, equipment and parts in stockroom, warehouse, or yard by performing the following duties.
- Plans layout of stockroom, warehouse and other storage areas, considering turnover, size, weight and related factors of items stored.
- Inspects physical condition of warehouse and equipment. Initiates work order for repairs and requisitions for replacement and/or maintenance of equipment.
- Establishes operational procedures for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling and disposition of parts and components and keeping accurate warehouse inventory records.
- Studies shipping notices, bills of lading, invoices, orders and other records to determine shipping priorities, work assignments and shipping methods required to meet delivery schedules.
- Oversees daily incoming and outgoing traffic logistic activities to ensure accuracy, completeness, best value and condition of shipments.
- Advises employees on care and preservation of items received, stored, and shipped; methods and use of equipment in handling, storing, maintaining, and shipping stock, and related issues.
- Studies records and recommends remedial actions for reported unusable, slow moving and excess stock.
- Directs salvage of damaged or used material.
- Reviews records for accuracy of information and compliance with established procedures and to determine adequacy of stock levels.
- Schedules work for special and periodic inventories.
- Traces history of items to determine reasons for discrepancies between inventory and stock control records and recommends remedial actions to resolve discrepancies.
- Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, expedites workflow; issues written and oral instructions.
- Assigns workers to specific duties and examines work for exactness, neatness and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Studies and implements procedural changes to improve efficiency of subordinates.
- Resolves errors and complaints from internal and external customers.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Periodic (up to 15%) domestic travel to other company warehouse locations for training and peer support purposes is required.
- Compliance with applicable Company policies concerning maintaining a drug free workplace is required. Compliance with all Company policies is required, including adherence to Company ISO 9001 Standards with Company Affirmative Action Plan and Company Safety procedures.
- Incorporate the Standards of Excellence as outlined by TWMC (Pride, Desire, Teamwork, Attention to Detail, Follow-through) into daily activities in order to create a Total Quality environment through personal commitment to excellence.
- Other functions as required (non-essential functions).
Directly supervises employees in the Warehouse departments. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work for multiple shift operations, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Participates in planning personnel safety and plant protection activities.
Prepares monthly activity reports and status of performance measures, maintains attendance schedules, performs annual performance appraisals.
SCOPE, PURPOSE AND FREQUENCY OF CONTACTS:
Confers with department heads to ensure coordination of warehouse activities with activities of other functions such as manufacturing, sales, quality control, planning and purchasing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
CRITICAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To be qualified for this position, an individual must possess these critical skills and/or abilities and must be able to demonstrate the use of them.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or four to ten years related receiving/stores/shipping or warehousing and transportation logistics activities experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. College and/or military experience is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. May require the ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and the ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent. Use of calculator and personal computer; familiarity with Microsoft applications desired.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TECO-Westinghouse’s (TECO-Westinghouse) Management reserves the right to revise, change or modify the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time to meet business and organizational needs. This position description may not list all duties for this position. The incumbent in the position may be asked to perform other duties. This position description is not a contract for employment and either the incumbent or TECO-Westinghouse may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.